We are looking for an experienced Executive Director to oversee all business operations, staff, and initiatives. The ED is responsible for the overall success of the business and will work in partnership with our Producing Artistic Director. Together, both will oversee the Managing Director and School Administration in the organizational structure, and will answer to the Board of Directors.
The Executive Director will be supervising a team responsible for our three primary business areas (performances, classes, and business training programs). We are seeking to grow our student base and audiences to expand our growth and further our mission of changing the world through joyful artistic engagement of unscripted theatre. The ideal candidate will be a leader and strategist able to merge the organization’s initiatives and mission in ways that encourage growth to help fulfill short-term and long-term objectives. The candidate will also lead and inspire our staff and support the ongoing development and growth of our community. The Executive Director should have very strong crisis management skills since the landscape of non-profit theatre in Los Angeles can often be challenging and fluid.
- Work closely with Artistic Director, Managing Director, and School Director to support their goals, including: · Developing and executing the company’s business strategies · Overseeing the organization’s ongoing financial performance · Fostering artistic excellence · Increasing ticket sales, school revenue and income from grants and donors. · Enhancing the audience experience · Developing and nurturing corporate client relationships · Ensuring the organization meets its diversity, equity, and inclusion goals · Promoting school and performance programming · Maintaining a three-year strategic plan that is updated annually ? Collaborate with the Board of Directors by attending meetings, communicating regularly, and providing pertinent data to support their advisement of the company’s direction. ? Delegate responsibilities and supervise the work of administrative staff, providing guidance and motivation to drive maximum performance. ? Serve as the chief fundraiser of the organization and be actively involved in grant solicitation and donor cultivation. ? Communicate and maintain trust relationships with shareholders, business partners, and authorities. ? Establish company policies and legal guidelines and ensure that these are communicated from the top down in the company and followed at all times. ? Prepare and implement comprehensive business plans to facilitate achievement by planning cost-effective operations and market development activities ? Prepare and monitor an annual balanced budget. ? Ensure that the organization meets or exceeds its goals for earned and contributed income. ? Coordinate with auditors to ensure a smooth annual audit process. ? Issue contracts to all personnel – both artistic and non-artistic. ? Act as public relations representative for the company in ways that strengthen its profile. ? Analyze problematic situations and provide solutions to ensure company survival and growth. ? Have a working knowledge of and/or passion for improvisational theatre in order to further develop, promote, and enhance company culture. ? Ensure a positive work environment that strives for equity, justice, diversity, and inclusion at all levels of the organization.
? BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field; MSc/MA will be preferred, or ... ... 5 years (preferred) managing a nonprofit arts organization, with specific preference given for theatre experience, or ... ... Proven experience in another managerial position. ? Demonstrable experience in developing strategic and business plans. ? Thorough knowledge of market changes and forces that may influence the organization. ? Strong understanding of corporate finance and measures of performance. ? Familiarity with non-profit law and management best practices. ? Excellent organizational and leadership skills. ? Excellent communication (written and oral), interpersonal, and presentation skills. ? Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities.
Questions? Contact: Rick@improtheatre.com
Telecommuting is allowed.
About Impro Theatre & School, Los Angeles
Impro Theatre exists to change the world through joyful artistic engagement by performing, teaching, and expanding storytelling through unscripted theatre.
Our core values include:
• Furthering the art of improvisation and remaining devoted to artistic excellence.
• Challenging artists to stretch creatively while challenging other art-makers and audiences to expand their definitions of theatre.
• Embracing cooperation, diversity, equity, inclusiveness, and creative risk-taking in its fullest form.
• Entertaining, inspiring, and engaging patrons and performers locally and throughout the world.
• Promoting artistic exchange with other artists.
• Investing in the local community through classes, workshops, and programs that reach youth and diverse populations.
Impro Theatre’s Main Company creates completely improvised, full-length plays in the styles of the world’s greatest playwrights, authors and composers. With no pre-planning or prepared scenarios, the performers combine verbal dexterity and robust physicality to bring character and plot to life in an instant, making each Impro Theatre show unique and unlike any other theatrical experience. Founded as Los Angeles Theat...resports in 1988, Impro Theatre has evolved from a successful short form improv troupe into a critically acclaimed improvisational theatre company. In southern California, Impro has performed sold-out shows at South Coast Repertory, The Broad Stage in Santa Monica, North Coast Repertory in San Diego, Falcon Theatre in Burbank, and The Pasadena Playhouse, as well as venues around the world including the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, The Athenaeum Theatre in Chicago, The Melbourne Fringe in Australia and Theatre Adyar in Paris. Impro Theatre’s Main Company has received multiple Critics’ Picks in the ,Los Angeles Times, Back Stage West and L.A. Weekly, and many shows have been Ovation Recommended. Los Angeles Times calls them, “Amazing! One of the funniest evenings in town. The troupe spins an entire play into comedy gold right before your eyes.” Stage & Cinema says, “As high a degree of general excellence in writing, acting, and direction as I have seen in any theater company in America.”
BACK TO TOP
EdTA Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else EdTA has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at EdTA Career Center.