The Fine Arts Academy at McCallum High School is one of the leading organizations in the Austin metropolitan area that provides comprehensive theatre arts education for students grades 9-12. McCallum is a public high school of choice with entrance into the Fine Arts Academy by audition and portfolio review. McCallum’s Theatre program (MacTheatre) is housed in a 517-seat theatre built to touring house specifications and a 288-seat proscenium theatre used primarily for straight plays and student-directed works.
The Technical Theatre position encompasses technical theatre curriculum and instruction, technical direction of production season and management of McCallum’s two theatres. Position reports to the Principal, Assistant Principal and works in tandem with the Fine Arts Academy Coordinator, Lead Theatre Director and Fine Arts Department Chairs.
Technical Theatre Teacher responsibilities
• Develop curriculum and teach all aspects of Technical Theatre courses in a scaffolded curriculum format: Technical Theatre I, II, III, IV
• Plan, produce and strike 4 full-scale theatre productions per academic year utilizing both in class and out-of-class hours including after school and weekends- Five production events per year are estimated – two in the fall, two in the spring, and a one act play for UIL competition
• Engage and procure guest artists in the technical theatre domain
• Participate in Fine Arts Academy strategic planning, events planning, and artistic education planning
Technical Director responsibilities
• Estimate budgets for a short-list of show options for consideration
• Set high-level design parameters
• Manage production timelines, including schedules and logistics
• Facilitate sound design and lighting design concept, plan, and implementation as well as hiring of contractors as needed
• Collaborate in the creation of communications (social media and emails) with Technical Theatre Major students and parents
• Manage rentals, orders, inventory and maintenance of production elements
• Co-manage production budgets
• Offer, negotiate, and manage other artistic and technical contracts
• Organize student artistic leadership and student crews
Technical Theatre Performing Arts Center Facility Manager responsibilities
• Assist in management of non-theatre events, which includes collaborating with non-theatre faculty and community members regarding details of the implementation of programs
• Manage upkeep and safety needs of McCallum Arts Center and Fine Arts Building Theatres, which includes inventory, budgeting, maintenance, repair and inspections
• Keep record and inventory of MacTheatre’s theatrical equipment and show stock
The salary is commensurate with education and experience. *This position comes with a Director stipend. Full Time Position.
Classroom hours and nights and weekends as rehearsal and performance schedules dictate.
• BA in Theatre Arts, BFA in Design and Production (Set, Costume, Lighting), Technical Theatre, or Technical Direction, MFA preferred.
• Valid Texas Teaching Certification or willingness to be certified through an alternative certification program if not already certified.
• 3+ years of classroom teaching in Technical Theatre preferred.
• 3+ years of theatre production experience at the high school, college, or professional level.
• Experience with Theatrical special systems, lighting, sound and scenic design, technical direction, and stage management.
• Experience with union crews, set designers, set builders, costumers, and technical contractors.
Required Skills and Abilities
• Must be academically oriented, a team player, and possess the ability to work collaboratively within the team.
• Must display appropriate professional behavior and vocabulary when working and interacting with students, parents, faculty, staff, administration and other community members.
• Must be passionate about demonstrating and creating an aspirational environment for young people that fosters creativity and excellence.
• Must exhibit the ability to maintain the highest level of production quality while working under steady pressure.
• Must be available to facilitate after school and weekend rehearsals and events.
• Must possess the physical ability to lift heavy objects and work at heights up to 70 feet.
• Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, good time management and organization abilities, manage a budget, negotiate contracts, and manage contract/part-time personnel as well as volunteers.
Additional Salary Information: There is a pending $5000 raise for all Austin ISD teachers slated to be approved shortly.
Internal Number: 28853
About McCallum Fine Arts Academy
The mission of the McCallum Fine Arts Academy is to foster and advance a diverse group of student artists who will create, lead, inspire, and contribute to a global community.
Our Five Pillars:
1. Focuses on the individual development of each student
2. Provides high quality instruction
3. Integrates collaborative, intentional, reciprocal relationships with the broader Austin arts community into our programs/classrooms/instruction
4. Encourages an interdisciplinary approach to curriculum and instruction, and
5. Graduates students who can produce a pre-professional level of product in their chosen art form.
As Austin ISD’s district-wide fine arts intensive high school program, the Fine Arts Academy at McCallum High School provides an exemplary arts education program for 9th – 12th grade students to pursue an accelerated arts curriculum as fine arts majors.
McCallum Fine Arts Academy attracts a diverse student body from all over the Austin area, including students who attended public, private, charter, and home middle schools.
BACK TO TOP
EdTA Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else EdTA has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at EdTA Career Center.